Greetings from PEAKx,
Did you know that PEAKxSchool is the only Duke of Edinburgh’s Award BC/YT (and maybe even the first in Canada!) provider of the Adventurous Journey (AJ) with a 100% Duke of Ed-approval guarantee? We certify that our clients will meet and exceed all of the requirements for successful AJ completion at each level.
We work closely with the Award office to ensure that our programs provide comprehensive coverage of the required training and that our methods are closely aligned with the values and ‘spirit’ of the Award.
Some participants have submitted their record book only to be told that their journey did not count and that they would have to do another. Although the responsibility is on the participant to make sure they are fulfilling the requirements, some providers are not familiar with what training and trip-specific objectives are required.
Our staff work closely with groups to help them plan and enjoy their trip. As you ascend the levels, there is an increasing responsibility placed on participants for the planning and preparation of the trip. At the Gold level, participants assume ownership of the planning for their trip while our guides ensure that the process runs smoothly and safely.
To get the most benefit from your efforts, select a provider who clearly understands the Award objectives and will support you through the process. Remember, there is a big difference between just getting the pin and actually earning the Award. Make your efforts count!
Here are some tips to ensure your Adventurous Journey runs smoothly:
- Ask the provider about their experience and background facilitating the Award.
- How many trips have they done?
- Have any trips ever been rejected?
- Can they explain the objectives of the Award clearly? Do they understand what it is about?
- Do they offer a guarantee that the training will be completed and the trip accepted by the Award office?
- Start planning the trip well in advance:
- Find a provider as soon as you start each level. This gives you plenty of time to plan an amazing trip and complete the Preliminary and Practice Journey Training.
- Gold-level Journeys can take 3-6 months to plan properly.
- The right provider will encourage you and guide you through the planning. Remember, the Award is about building skills and self-reliance, not just being taken on a trip.
- Call a few different providers to ask about trips and cost.
- Shop around for a provider who will help you and your group plan the perfect trip to a place that you want to explore.
- Do research on what each provider includes in their price and what support before and after they are willing to provide.
- Ask about the people they hire to accompany you on your trip.
- Are they certified?
- Have they taken Duke of Ed Leader Training?
- Are they available to assist in the planning and preparation?
PEAKx is please to offer complimentary consultations with individuals, groups, and families who are interested in high-quality, superior-value Adventurous Journeys. Contact us today to see how we can make your Duke of Ed experience the most memorable time of your life.
Have a great day!
Founding Partner and Lead Educator