Program Title: Explore the Shore I (ESS-01)
Explore the Shore I is the first program in a progression aimed at introducing young people to the spectacular natural environments to which we in Southwest BC are fortunate enough to have access. We will help students to see the ‘trees for the forest’ as we explore the ecology and simple terrain in well-maintained natural areas. Participants will learn about the world around them in a fun and social atmosphere that encourages questions, exploration, and interactive activities.
Duration: 1 Day (8:30am – 4:30pm)
- To experience firsthand the ecology, setting, and geography of the mountainous forests of coastal BC.
- To connect students to the places in which, and near to where, they live so that they might foster an appreciation for them.
- To have fun and get physical in a natural playground that inspires active and experiential learning.
All details to be expanded upon in parent information documents. Travel, pick-up, and drop-off can vary depending on group and family preferences.
8:30am – Meet at Seabus Ferry Terminal (Downtown Vancouver)
9:00am – Pick up North and West Vancouver participants at Seabus Terminal (Lonsdale Quay)
9:15am – Travel to Seymour Demonstration Forest
12:00pm – Lunch
3:00pm – Depart Seymour Demonstration Forest
4:00pm – North and West Vancouver Student Pickup
4:30pm – Participant pick-up at Vancouver Seabus Ferry Terminal
- Hiking appropriate footwear
- Rain jacket and pants
- 1L waterbottle (full)
- Lunch with extra snacks (kids often eat twice the amount of food they would take to school)
- Moderate level of physical fitness.
- Positive attitude and curiosity.
- Medications (if applicable)
- Nature guides
- Magnifying glass, loupe, etc.
- Small folding multi-tool / Swiss Army-style device