Program Title: Explore the Shore II (ESS-02)
Explore the Shore II is the second program in a progression aimed at introducing young people to the spectacular natural environments to which we in Southwest BC are fortunate enough to have access. We will help students to see the ‘trees for the forest’ as we continue to explore the changing ecology in slightly more complex terrain. We will be traveling on well-maintained, yet challenging, municipal hiking trails that offer more challenge to our participants. Stopping along the hike up the Grouse Grind and from the spectacular vistas atop Grouse Mountain, they will learn about the world around them in a fun and social atmosphere that encourages questions, exploration, and interactive activities.
Duration: 1 Day (8:30am – 4:30pm)
- To experience firsthand the ecology, setting, and geography of the mountainous forests of coastal BC.
- To connect students to the places in which, and near to where, they live so that they might foster an appreciation for them.
- To have fun and get physical in a natural playground that inspires active and experiential learning.
All details to be expanded upon in parent information documents. Travel, pick-up, and drop-off can vary depending on group and family preferences.
8:30am – Meet at either A) Canada Place for Grouse Mountain Shuttle (May – September) or B) Vancouver Art Gallery (Downtown Vancouver)
9:00am – Arrive Grouse Mountain Base
9:30am – Begin Grouse Grind
12:00pm – Lunch
12:30pm – Explore Grouse Mountain Attractions and hiking trails
3:00pm – Download Grouse Mountain Tram
3:30pm – Depart Grouse Mountain
4:30pm – Participant Pick-up at Vancouver Art Gallery
- Hiking appropriate footwear
- Rain jacket and pants
- 1L waterbottle (full)
- Lunch with extra snacks (kids often eat twice the amount of food they would take to school)
- Moderate level of physical fitness.
- Positive attitude and curiosity.
- Medications (if applicable)
- Nature guides
- Magnifying glass, loupe, etc.
- Small folding multi-tool / Swiss Army-style device